General Application for Employment
Applicants for all positions within the NRD are required to complete this general application form and submit it with other materials.
The Upper Big Blue Natural Resources District is seeking a summer intern for the summer of 2023. The position will begin in mid-May and run till the start of the fall semester. Dates are flexible.
Work will be conducted from the NRD's office located in York, Nebraska.
Job duties include, but not limited to the following:
- Installation of soil moisture monitoring equipment at irrigation scheduling demonstrations;
- Assist in the collection of ground water samples;
- Conduct inspections of irrigation flow meter installations;
- Inspection of irrigation equipment;
- Other duties as assigned
40-hour work week.
Rate of pay is $12.50 per hour.
Working conditions will involve exposure to heat, humidity, dust, and pollen. Candidates may be required to lift up to 40 lbs., operate an ATV, and interact with agricultural producers and District staff. This is a great opportunity to gain experience in agriculture, natural resources, or environmental sciences. Employment preference is given to college students with agriculture, agronomy, water sciences, environmental sciences, and natural resources majors.
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, application , and a list of references to:
Upper Big Blue Natural Resources District
Attn: Terry Julesgard, Water Department Manager
319 East 25th St.
York, NE 68467
The Upper Big Blue Natural Resources District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application deadline is March 31, 2023.
Water Conservationist (York)
The Water Conservationist develops information and educational activities in connection with the Groundwater Management Areas, for both groundwater quantity and quality as it relates to water use efficiency. The goal of these efforts is to spark management changes in district producers to ensure groundwater quantity and quality are sustained as well as other water related tasks to support the Water Department.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize and present Groundwater Management Area educational programming
- Coordinate Groundwater Management Area annual reporting on water use efficiency and provide possible programs outlines to improve implementation of conservation practices
- Review Groundwater Management Area reports
- Contribute material for the public relations department regarding water use efficiency topics and programs
- Present district information to constituents at public meetings
- Work one-on-one with producers
- Make use of relational data management software
- Other duties as assigned by the water department manager
- Minimum Bachelor of Science Degree in agronomy, agriculture, agri-business, agriculture communication, or environmental sciences
- Strong organizational skills
- Skill in reviewing, proofing, and verifying statistical data
- Knowledge of agronomic principles
- Ability to work well and communicate effectively with people
- Must obtain a Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services NRD Technician certification
- Must obtain a Natural Resources Ground Water Technician License (may be obtained after employment)
- Use sound judgement in difficult situations to facilitate conflict resolution
- Microsoft Office Suite experience desirable
The physical demands described here are typical of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The physical duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Loading and unloading a 4-wheeler from the bed of a pickup or trailer
- Lifting 50 pounds from ground level
- Capacity to work in all weather conditions
- Walk in uneven and muddy terrain
- Operate equipment such as tractors with loaders, and lawnmowers
The employee is expected to comply with the district’s employee handbook, drug-free and alcohol-free workplace policies, and safety policies. While representing the district, the employee will conduct him or herself in a professional manner and avoid actions or comments that would reflect unfavorably on the district.
This is a full-time position. Starting salary $62,000 to $67,000 annually. The Upper Big Blue NRD offers:
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits within 30 days of hire.
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Affordable dependent health insurance
- Employer matching retirement
- 10 Paid holidays
- PTO for vacation and sick leave
- Tuition assistance
- Wellness program
To be considered, please submit an application, cover letter, resume, and contact information including the e-mail addresses for three professional and one personal references. Both USPS and electronic formats are welcome. Submit information to Terry Julesgard at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 15, 2023.
Upper Big Blue NRD
319 E 25th St.
York, NE 68467
The Upper Big Blue NRD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, age, protected Veterans status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.